Re: Nazi wing & WWI tank

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2.frmt1.sfba.home.com on April 03, 1998 at 17:39:30:

In Reply to: Nazi wing & WWI tank posted by Jungle Geoff on April 03, 1998 at 17:00:51:

: Thanks for all the relpies on the Nazi Flying Wing. I think I found some interesting info on some PROPOSED German WWII aircraft that closely match the flying wing. I will share it all as soon as I have the proper references. I have another question for all the tech experts out there. Who built the WWI tank in CRUSADE for the motion picture? It is not a real one. Its treads are far too wide and it speeds along way too fast (besides having a hybrid turret.) The actual tanks of that type moved along at 3-4 mph tops! Does anyone know what has happened to the movie tank? Who owns it now? The "Lulu-Belle" tank from Speilbergs movie "1941" is owned by a collector here in Utah. It's a real Sherman-type chassis with a fiberglass hull and turret. Was the CRUSADE tank made much of fiblerglass too? Eagerly awaiting to here from my fellow Raiders.
:

According to the Lucasfilm archive book, the tank in Last Crusade was made from scratch by the mechanical effects crew from the film. It was based on a rare Mark 7 WWI German tank, of which only eight were made and only one nonfunctioning tank still exists. The replica was made from steel and totaled 36 ft long and a full 29 tons. I think Lucasfilm spent about 3million dollars recreating the tank. As for the final resting place of the replica, I've heard that Disneyworld in Florida might have the tank there as part of its Indiana Jones exhibit.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]