Re: Gary White's services

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ from 6.houston-01.tx.dial-access.att.net on April 04, 1998 at 22:06:05:

In Reply to: Re: Gary White's services posted by Michaelson on April 02, 1998 at 16:00:22:

Hey guys!
I know I don't get much chance to post, but I think I can give a good opinion on this matter. I have always been searching for an authentic Indy hat (especially the Raider's look). I own a few varieties, including the Herbert Johnson, which by the way sold an extra one which did not fit me from this page not too long ago. I must say that althogh many people have stated H.J. makes the originals for all three movies, after putting my hats next to the t.v. when watching the movie, one would need glasses to say they were the same. At least for Raiders anyway. The hat in the movie is taller than the H.J. Anyway, I tried Custom Hatter and finally found what I was looking for. The felt is superior to any I've previously owned. There is also a contrast between the hat and ribbon like in the movie. And most important, the crown is indeed the right height. I would recommend going with the nutmeg.
Russell Wolny

: : I have never dealt with Gary White, but I would be wary of his prices. He seems a little pricey. I had my hat recently steamed, cleaned, and blocked and it cost me $28. Again, I never asked him how much he charges for this service, but my guess is it may be high. If not, please someone correct me. Check around. There are some places that don't charge a dime except for a "gratuity." It stems from a tradition of old-world hatters providing a service to hat owners, asking nothing in return but what you feel suitable to pay for such service. Good luck and let me know if you find a less expensive price with Gary White, and let me know how you like his service.

: Living in south central Tennessee, I have no choices regarding these services. There are plenty of cowboy hat people, Nashville is just up the road, but considering that our fedora's run anywhere from the low $100's upward, $28 doesn't seem to me to be pricey at all, especially if it was done correctly. I'll report what I find out once I make contact with Mr. White. Appreciate the information. I now have a figure to look at regarding this. I used to have access to this kind of service when I lived in Florida, but no longer. Thanks again! Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]