Re: To all the Wested owners

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn010b-088.cybertours.com on March 31, 1999 at 14:34:34:

In Reply to: To all the Wested owners posted by Meg on March 30, 1999 at 18:01:32:

: Dear all,
: I have a few questions about the jacket, since I will be ordering one pretty soon. It would be ever so kind if I can get all or some of your opions. I don't want to write them here because people are getting annoyed with all the Jacket and Bag questions(which I don't know why), so if you can e-mail me at Megara212@aol.com
: I would really appreciate it. Thank you!!

: ~Meg~

Well, you know, I don't think it is a waste of time to discuss it here again. I'll tell you about mine. I bought my Raiders jacket over 8 years ago when Wested Leather went by the name "Leather Concessionaires." Not long ago, when they changed their name and I began hearing about them making the Indy jacket, I thought that either they were bogus or that mine was a fake, but I emailed Peter Botwright last year and he confirmed that everything was A-OK. They were indeed Leather Concessionaires back when the films were made. The jacket has aged nicely and stood up to some steady abuse over these eight years, and the only thing starting to go on it is the stitching around the two flap pockets in front (my fault for over-stuffing them). The zipper will probably need replacing in a year or two, but the jacket itself is finely crafted and will hold up for many years to come I am certain. It is very buttery soft, which is deceiving. You think to yourself when you get it, "My god, this can't be the real thing. It's too thin and soft." But if you need proof as to the thinness of the jacket, watch the fight scene at the flying wing in Raiders. You'll see the back of the jacket flip up on Indy's shoulders as the Nazi is beating the crap out of him. Also, don't let its softness trick you. It is more durable than cowhide, so it takes quite a beating. I have worn it in the rain, gotten it drenched, crawled under vehicles changing oil, etc. with it and aside from just starting to finally look like the movie jackets, it has only one small tear on the shoulder. Character, I figure. Mine has the satin lining, as the Raiders jacket did. It is therefore very easy to slide on over shirts and sweaters. However, it is not very breathable. The Last Crusade version was made with cotton lining, but the downside to this of course is that it snags your clothing while sliding it on. The jacket is so timeless in its style and attractive, both in look and feel, that I regularly lose mine to my wife and occasionally to our friend from college who we see once a week or so. Actually, that friend likes it so much, she has ordered one of her own, and she isn't even an Indy fan. I get compliments on the jacket all the time from people who don't even realize where they've seen it before. It's funny, but it is so simple in design (no fancy cuffs, pockets, zippers, etc.) that there doesn't seem to be any other jacket like it anywhere. I have never met anyone else who owns one either (guess there's no one on this forum who lives near me!), so I also feel unique in that way. It is a great jacket-very comfortable and durable. I highly recommend the jacket to both Indy fans and, dare I say it, non-Indy fans (heathens). If you have any other questions, let me know...

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]