Re: Also saddened by the closing of W&G

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana John from proxy.wmfg.com on April 01, 1999 at 10:31:38:

In Reply to: Also saddened by the closing of W&G posted by Abner on March 31, 1999 at 08:50:48:

: I too am disappointed to find out that the Willis & Geiger division is being liquidated. I only recently found out about their clothes from this forum and I am extremely pleased with the Bush poplin shirt I received yesterday after returing the Balloon Cloth shirt (which was too light in color in my opinion). I wanted to order another one but of course they are now sold out in my size. I think the Bush Poplin shirt in Tan is the perfect "Indy" color (much lighter than the picture in the catalog), although the fabric may be thicker than his shirt. This fabric was developed in 1932 for hot climates and I can't help but think that if Indiana Jones did exist he would have had a shirt made of this stuff. At least his shirt was definitely inspired by the poeple who orginally wore it. Anyway, I tried to find out more about where to get the fabric to possibly buy some and have a shirt taloired but W&G claims it is a "proprietary" fabric, ie. a trade secret and won't tell! What good it will do a defunct company I don't know. Well, someone in Hong Kong knows where to get this stuff. The people at Lands End don't know what will become of Willis and Geiger. Apparently they were trying to sell the company off a year ago but didn't find a suitable buyer and now are just liquidating all of the inventory. They may sell the rights to the trademark in the future but don't know. I'd sure love to buy it! Anyone else here interested in going into the quality adventure/outdoor clothing business? I would hate to see W&G bought by some stupid company and turned into another Abercrombie and Fitch. (All image, no substance)

: PS- Does anyone know if the W&G stamped on the inside of some Gas Mask Bags stands for Willis & Geiger?
Yes; the W&G does stand for Willis & Geiger.
I have mentioned this in my Bag section at Indy Gear.
I am working on a way to incorporate Willis & Geiger company info
on my page.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: