The Indy films, like Spielberg's other movies, all in preparation for Schindler's List?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert from 209.5.179.18 on April 02, 1999 at 13:27:39:

I was looking through my 'Films of Steven Spielberg' book last night, and I was reading the Schindler's List section of the book. Anyway, it said that most of his previous work, now in retrospect was all in preparation of his huge milestone film, SL. For example, in Last Crusade, the book burning sequence was put in to prepare himself for the inevitable film by thinking of the Nazi's as not just cartoonish villains. That is why the Nazi's in Last Crusade seem more threatening than they did in Raiders. Another thing is Temple of Doom, the parts having to do with Indy freeing the slaves. That is similar to Schindler freeing his Jews who were working in his factory. Not to mention, E.T., some perceived it as purely escapist entertainment. It was more than that. It let Spielberg see the humanity in stories and opened him up to more serious stories rather than crowd-pleasing blockbusters. That's the reason he did The Color Purple and Empire of the Sun.

Even Jurassic Park was small preparation for Schindler. The scenes with the children in danger of being eaten from the dinosaurs reflected the scenes of Jewish children in danger from being executed by the Nazi's in Schindler's List.

So, as it seems, all his movies were little previews of one of his hugest milestone films in his career.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]