Re: The sub

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive889.dialup.mindspring.com on April 04, 1999 at 21:15:36:

In Reply to: Re: The sub posted by Mark Indy Szarkowski on April 04, 1999 at 15:52:35:

: : Just as an aside, the sub used in Raiders was the full scale sub mockup from the German film "Das Boot" (The Boat) that had just completed filming earlier that year. According to the "Making of Raiders" book, they were sweating bullets shooting this scene, as they had to tow the sub mockup out to open ocean and it couldn't handle very rough seas. Apparently the scene was shot at the absolute highest sea swells that the model could handle. Regards. Michaelson

: Thanks Michaelson!
: Great info, I thought this boat might be one and the same! Das Boot is one of my favourite films of all time, right along with our beloved trilogy. :)

I think some of the filming of "Das Boot" was done after "Raiders" (it was orginally a TV miniseries). If you watch the DVD of "Das Boot: Director's Cut" there is a making of/director's commentary track where the director jokingly swears Steven Spielberg must have done something to the model (like loosen a screw) because after he gave it back to the Das Boot crew it sank and had to be dredged up! Also, the Sub Base in Das Boot is also the same one in Raiders. I still don't remember seeing Indy with his whip, though. (Have to go look closely again) I'll just assume he somehow opened the hatch and crawled inside the sub without being noticed (And setting off an alarm!) Plainly, this sequence was just poorly explained in the movie. Even the screenwriter admits it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]