I agree. It was only 2 weeks

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive88g.dialup.mindspring.com on April 06, 1999 at 14:11:51:

In Reply to: "The desert is 3 weeks in every direction" posted by Indy on April 06, 1999 at 13:09:49:

It's hard to believe it was THAT far. Belloq's remark only makes some sense because he said "If you are trying to escape on foot"... However, you can walk a really long distance in 3 weeks! If you averaged only 15 miles a day that's over 300 miles! Then it must have been at least a 6 hour drive back to Cairo. On the other hand, you have to consider the desert sun, and sand can be very difficult to walk on. I've never hiked long distances in the Sahara, so I'm guessing---but I'll be watching the Eco-Challenge on Discovery this Sunday--they'll be doing the real thing in Morocco!

Cheers,
Abner

PS- Another thing that never made any sense in Raiders was the lack of British troops, officials anywhere. In 1936 Egypt was still administered by Britain, but in the movie they don't seem to notice that a bunch of heavily armed Germans are running around the desert working for an "archeological dig"! Also, in Cairo you can't even see the pyramids anywhere in the background..."Cairo- city of the living"...I know it was filmed in Tunisia but they could have easily added the pyramids in later as a special effect.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]