Alden boot care

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Dassel from ts1-p4.min.prysm.net on April 07, 1999 at 15:54:33:

In Reply to: Re: I use KIWI mink oil posted by Michaelson on April 06, 1999 at 11:35:21:

: : The guy in the shoe store recommended it for waterproofing, so I have been using this stuff. It wipes away the scratches but does tend to darken the leather slightly.

: : Cheers,
: : Abner

: : PS-As an aside, I just got these boots a month ago and they are great! I wear them everyday. They cost about the same as a good pair of hiking boots and are just about as comfortable, giving good support. Indiana Jones (or his costume designer) sure had great taste in shoes! However, unlike hiking boots I wouldn't ever wear them with shorts though because without pants covering the top they are ugly as all hell! (Are these the "orthopedic shoes" kids dreaded having to wear back in the day?)

: I'm surprised that this boot took mink oil, as it has the harder leather polished finish. I am a user of mink oil too, but the down side to that would be you can forget using any form of polish or creme as the oil will resist the penetration. Also, if you live in the south or warmer climates, mink oil attracts bugs. The first thing I was told when I lived a short stint in Florida was to lose any bottle of mink oil I owned if I planned to keep any leather for any term of time. The bugs would eat the leather for breakfast with the oil penetration. I did indeed have some damage done to some older holsters that I had oiled while there. Something to consider. Regards. Michaelson

Personally, I use the Pecard leather dressing available from
David Morgan. It is a clear, neutral dressing that keeps the leather
shiny and supple without the harsh salts and solvents that would
eventually break down leather. And, yes, it does give the boots a
nice slightly-weathered look. I use Pecard on the boots, bullwhip,
satchel strap, and leather equipment belt. (also on holster)

-Dale

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]