Re: Herbert Johnson

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn012b-151.cybertours.com on April 11, 1999 at 07:04:22:

In Reply to: Herbert Johnson posted by nitzsche on April 10, 1999 at 14:58:03:

: Is there a catalog for this outfit? Do they offer any open-crown hats? I am into doing the modifications myself, and have done so with all my hats. I would like to see specs on all the hats offered by HJ, instead of their modified POET. Any info on some type of ordering catalog would be nice.

: Thanks--
: nitzsche

Herbert Johnson will custom-make any kind of hat. They don't have a "catalog" per se, but they do send a small brochure with any hat or hat accessory purchase. They offer all kinds of fedora-type hats in any color you can imagine, but as for offering open-crown versions, such as those offered by Akubra, well, I am not certain. They may not, since they pride themselves and their business on making the crease just the way their customers want it and their clientele are generally not people who want to spend time steaming and creasing a hat, but want it done for them. Mail-order hats obviously don't often come EXACTLY as we would like them, because we are not in the shop showing them how we would like it. The only way I know to contact Herbert Johnson is by phone, fax, or snail-mail. I think they, like James Locke Hatters, want to keep themselves a traditional business with no website, etc. etc. Those of us on the forum who save up the money and invest in a HJ fedora are an anomaly to HJ. To most of their clientele, $260 is like buying a pair of socks for the rest of us.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]