Re: Noel Howard Shirt Update

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on April 16, 1999 at 10:31:13:

In Reply to: Noel Howard Shirt Update posted by Abner on April 16, 1999 at 09:50:40:

: I just spoke with Mr. Howard on the phone. He says he has an original shirt and is indeed planning on offering a replica of the shirt for sale once he gets the proper fabric. The fabric is no longer produced and he is having some specially made.

: Cheers,
: Abner

Abner, I'm very curious about this, and where you speak to him, I believe you would know....How is Mr. Howard able to do this? I know that Peter Botwright was originally going to make pants for us, but Mr. Howard owned the patterns and was making them for the market. I totally understand and see owners rights here, but has he obtained permission of the original shirt maker to do this production, or is it a production that is "close", but not a patent or pattern infringement? If it's close, then what difference is it to one that's close made by another shirt maker anywhere in the world? Same with the strap, whip holder, etc? Is he producing from actual patterns used and now owned by his company, as the jacket is by Wested and pants by his company, or is he producing ramdom items to just satisfy us collectors? I'm not asking these to be ugly in any way. If he's recreating items from his actual past inventory to allow the Indyfan to obtain things for their Indiana Jones collection made from and by the original creators, GREAT! We've been trying to gain access to these items for years! But if he's creating items that are close to keep from infringing on the actual pattern owners patents or copyright, what are we gaining? I know some things we can actually make better ourselves, or obtain locally that are as close in design. Once again I'm really curious, as we've been trying to find these items for years, and all of a sudden Mr. Howard has 4 items up for sale. If he is just setting his company up as a one stop shopping are for the Indyfan, that's great too. I would just like to know what is original, and what is recreated. As Dr. Jones would say, I'm looking for illumination. What's the scoop? Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]