More Noel Howard information

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Satipo from host5-171-249-169.btinternet.com on April 17, 1999 at 05:48:59:

The poster's name and registered IP address don't match. This post is probably the work of an impersonator, take it with a grain of salt:

Let me begin by assuring you that this is the real Satipo, regardless of any red message that may be daubed at the top of this post. I'm simply posting from a different computer.

I have been reading, with interest, the discussion about Noel Howard. So I have decided to tell you my experience of dealing with him.

Living in London, I was recently able to purchase my own bag-with-strap in person from Mr Howard's premises. His company is situated just off Marylebone Road (an expensive and nice part of London) and it has a beautifully luxurious reception area. On the wall behind the receptionist is a noticeboard with a long list of films that his company has done work for. The impression I immediately got is that Noel Howard and his company are generally very busy and I felt privileged that he had allocated time to meet and deal with me over an item so small as the Indy bag.

Noel Howard is a gentleman. During my entire visit, I was made to feel comfortable and welcome, and he never at any point seemed in a rush to get rid of me so that he could get on with his REAL work. I was brought out a selection of bags to choose from, each one individually packaged in its own company bag to keep it in good condition. While I was looking through the assortment, Noel Howard went away for a couple of minutes and returned with an actual jacket, shirt and pair of pants as worn by Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark. The shirt even had a costume department label inside the collar with Harrison's name on it. It surprised me to see that the pants were made from a twill material, as I'd never picked up on that in the films. The jacket was covered in white-ish marks that looked to me like the bleaching effect sand has on clothes. Both the jacket and the pants had a few tears in them. In fact, the pants were totally shredded around the knees. Mr Howard informed me that they went through many items of clothing during the shooting of the films - and, yes, that includes those famously indestructible jackets as well. Of course, that's not to say that the jackets aren't tough, but they did put them through some incredible punishment.

Mr Howard introduced me to the man who had put the straps on the bags and I was told that he had worked on the costumes for The Last Crusade. He also fitted a strap to a bag I already owned while I was there. I chatted for a while with the two of them about the costume and Harrison Ford. Apparently, the original leather jacket was designed and made by an American company and then sent to England. With only a couple of days left before shooting began, it was decided that the jacket didn't look right. So, realising that they needed a good replacement in a short space of time, Noel Howard contacted a man he knew was good for the job - Peter Botwright. Both Harrison Ford and Peter Botwright went through various designs before the final one was agreed upon. As for the shirt, the original design came from a company called The Western Company (or something like that) in America. Andre Dometakis was given the task of reproducing the shirts in England. (Funnily enough, as we discussed this point, who should phone up reception, but Andre Dometakis!) Mr Howard assured me that the shirt would be available as soon as he had sorted the correct fabric out. The pants were available there and then, but I couldn't afford them at the time. He had just sent a pair to Taipan.

Anyway, all in all I had a fantastic visit and was overwhelmed by the hospitality I received. I look forward to going back there to purchase a shirt and a pair of pants as soon as I can afford them.

Adios,

Satipo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: