Re: Important PAL / NTSC compatibility NEWS!! And good news hopefully for everyone?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sas c|:) from a05.dialin.tuwien.ac.at on April 17, 1999 at 10:09:30:

In Reply to: Important PAL / NTSC compatibility NEWS!! And good news hopefully for everyone? posted by Brian on April 16, 1999 at 12:01:48:

Sorry, but you've got this wrong. Your PAL VCR can playback NTSC tapes because PAL is in most ways a superior format to NTSC. It is quite easy to playback the tapes in a viewable format called PAL60 (read your VCR description).
Playing PAL tapes on NTSC VCRs is impossible for several reasons. NTSC uses less video lines per screen than PAL, NTSC tapes are limited to 3 hours (PAL can use up to 5 houre tapes) and more reasons like that.
But see it from the good side: Here in Europe we can playback ALL the tapes... :)

sas c:)

: I just received a copy of Great Movie Stunts / Making of Raiders from Amazon. It's the NTSC version, I live in the UK.

: I had previously noticed on my video recorder (a Sony SLVE-90) that it said "NTSC playback on PAL TV".

: So I just chanced it - I popped it in the video and it actually works!! I'm so happy! Anyway...

: OK, now the turnaround. I had a thought that if there are PAL videos that play NTSC tapes then there must be NTSC videos that play PAL tapes?

: The point of this means that you U.S. guys (and other non-PAL format country residents) could perhaps get a hold of the PAL version of the Indy trilogy in widescreen.

: I'm only suggesting this as something to look out for and I hope for you "non-PAL" Indy fans that it might be the case.

: THought I'd share my happiness at getting the Great Movie Stunts video after years and years of hunting!

: Thanks to the folk on the forum who mentioned this video and where to get it.

: Oh and the quality is just exactly the same as PAL tapes. Perfect.

:
: Regards to all,

: Brian

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: