Re: What about Fokker?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on April 18, 1999 at 10:38:30:

In Reply to: What about Fokker? posted by Abner on April 16, 1999 at 14:13:30:

: : : : http://www.phoenix-model.com/images/Airfix/ax4009.jpg

: : : : Looks pretty close.

: : : : If anyone knows if it is, please let me know.

: : : : Regards,

: : : : Brian

: : : Yep, the planes are one in the same. They're Ford Tri-Motors, the first passenger-carrying plane to be a real commercial success. Perfect for carrying a few people... or chickens.

: : The pilots used to (and still do) call them flying barns, because the metal bodies reminded them of barn roof material. The Ford company actually was sued by Junkers, the German airplane company, in the 30's because the Tri-motor is an exact duplicate of the Junders original trimotor model. Ford, instead of fighting it in court paid Junkers a huge patent royalty to allow them to continue to produce their version. Regards. Michaelson

: What about the Fokker Tri-Motor? I have often seen references to this plane. Is it different than the Junkers version?

: Abner

From what I've read, and what is taught in our classes here, the two industries "shared" this type of design, but were totally against any outside duplication. They were very close in design, but not identical as the Ford was a direct rip off . Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]