Re: Cut scenes in RAIDERS

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from mw-204-80-123-10.metawire.com on April 10, 1998 at 10:29:12:

In Reply to: Re: Cut scenes in RAIDERS posted by Henry Jones Jr. on April 09, 1998 at 16:48:45:

: Do you know if there is a scene where Imam warns Indy and Sallah that:
: "Those who open the ark, and look at it's power will be destroyed"?
: I thonk it's a very important phrase in the novelization of the film, and it explains why Indy closes his eyes at the end of the film.

JEEPERS! I forgot. This WAS filmed as well, but it was cut. You're right -- when Indy says "Close your eyes" at the finale, it doesn't seem logical unless you've read the book or the original script. How does he know if he hasn't heard a warning? This was one of the logical inconsistancies in the film; perhaps if the filmmakers and editors left the scene in, it would not only be a good explanation, but a nice forshadowing of the dangerous powers of the Ark.

Also filmed -- but cut -- was an extended moment when the Ark is opened. IOndy keeps repeating to Marion NOT to look, but -- like Pandora's box -- Marion is tempted to open her eyes by some supernatural force. "I have to look," she says over and over, "I have to look."

This was filmed (you can see a part of it in the MAKING OF... documentary) but obviously it was cut. I can understand this; it might have come across as a little silly.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]