Re: HOW DO I JOIN ICQ?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sudip from ppp76-75.pppcal.vsnl.net.in on April 19, 1999 at 22:37:43:

In Reply to: Re: HOW DO I JOIN ICQ? posted by Nick on March 24, 1999 at 16:03:11:

: Simply browse to the page on the link on the bottom
: of my message and click on the flower-icon

:
: ---------------------------------------------------------------

: icq descfiption:
:

: ICQ -- ICQ is a revolutionary new program whose job is to constantly search for
: when your friends or associates connect to the 'net. A rather cute play on the words
: 'I Seek You', this free (while in beta release) client will automatically alert you when
: anyone on your list of contacts gets on the Internet. Your personal people agent
: then enables you to contact those users that are online if you desire. You can even
: connect with multiple users and set up an online conference or just travel on the
: information highway together. You can send messages and files to other users, set
: up online chat sessions, play games, surf the 'net together, leave messages for
: users who aren't currently on the 'net, and more.

: ICQ also allows you to utilize external Internet applications for phone and video
: conferencing through built-in support for clients like Internet Phone, Microsoft
: NetMeeting, WebPhone, IRISPhone, VDOPhone, CU-SeeMe, CineVideo,
: Netscape CoolTalk, and more. ICQ will even notify you and automatically update
: itself when support is added for new external clients. This environmentally friendly
: app works in the background and uses a minimum of system and Internet
: resources in its effort to continually monitor for new arrivals.

: ICQ saves you the time and energy of having to continually search for your friends
: on the Internet, only to find that they aren't even connected when you need them.
: Additional features designed to make life easier for you include FileDirect (a
: powerful module for transferring files), Message Direct (saves and stores messages
: for you when you're offline), ChatDirect (a built-in conference chat system),
: URLDirect (for exchanging Web bookmarks with others), firewall support, an online
: search engine (the ICQ Yellow Pages), support for popular Web browsers and
: e-mail clients, and the use of FileDirect servers (personal file servers that you can
: set up so others can freely browse and download files).

: There are countless uses for an app like ICQ. Whether surfing the 'net with your
: friends, conducting a business meeting with employees located all around the
: world, collaborating on a book, or developing a Web site with your online partners,
: ICQ makes it all possible and offers you the ability to do so in more ways than ever
: before. The only real downside is that unless your friends have already registered
: with the ICQ server, you won't be notified when they connect. So you might want to
: take my advice -- rush out and get all your friends signed up so that you begin
: taking advantage of this extraordinary client today!

: Pros: Tons of features, continually scans the 'net for your friends and
: acquaintances
: Cons: Must first register with an ICQ server, external apps needed for some
: communication tasks
: New: ICQ Web Guide, chat module, revised interface, privacy status, improved
: NetDetect, more

: New in ICQ 99a: ICQ White Pages, random chat feature, ICQ Home Page Factory,
: message history (contains message archive and a find utility for the archive),
: integrated e-mail capabilities, LDAP support, new services (including reminders, a
: to do list, a notepad, and phone availability status), new plug-ins (for voice
: messages and greeting cards), global online alert, Release Notes
: Upgrade Meter: 3

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: