Interesting Indy interpretation

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert from 209.5.179.14 on April 21, 1999 at 15:40:38:

In, "The Film's of Steven Spielberg" book, by Douglas Brode, in the Raiders section, it gives an eye-opening analysis of the movie and the character, here it is:

" MARION: I was a child -- in love
INDY: You knew what you were doing

Their confronatation is a classic case of an adult male engaging in sexual activity with an underage young woman, then claiming he isn't responsible because he saw a flicker of desire in her eyes. Perhaps surprisingly (considering the film's supposed ligt-entertainment tone), Spielberg will not relent:

MARION: Do you know what you did to me? To my life?

Indy will never answer that question, instead, he babbles on about the need to find Abner's medallion before the Nazi's do. But the question, and his avoidance of it, are very much with us. It hardly seems coincidental when, later in the film, Indy has to choose between loyalty to Marion and loyalty to a cause, once more betraying her. Spielberg's portrait of the American male value system is more complex and critical than has generally been acknowledged.

'Trust me', Indy says as he leaves. He has requested (practically demanded) the headpiece-medallion and has benn told to return the next day. His line is rife with nastiness; although he appears to be the idealized 1940s hero, indy is in fact something else entirely. He revels in the hard feelings Marion harbors; we think back to the university sequence and recall that one precocious young coed constantly made eyes at him, causing Dr. Jones to lose his train of thought. Possibly if brody and the agents hadn't intruded, Indy would have shortly bedded her. There is evidence, then, that the situation with Marion was anything but an embarrassing fling; his interest in younger women -- his virtual pedophilia -- has not diminished over the years."

What are your opinions of this?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]