Re: Indiana Jones Trilogy Missing Scenes

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noah Falstein from srf-176.nbn.com on April 11, 1998 at 15:09:43:

In Reply to: Re: Indiana Jones Trilogy Missing Scenes posted by Laurie Jensen on April 02, 1998 at 23:52:15:

: : Does anyone know where I can find a web containing the missing scenes from the Indiana Jones Movies.

: : C.T.D.

: I don't know of any web pages devoted to the missing scenes of Indiana Jones Trilogy, but there are ways to figure out the lost footage using official source material. For example, The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark paperback has a couple of photos that indicate cut scenes. One shows Spielburg directing Karen Allen to grab Harrison Ford's jacket lapels during the Indy/Marion reunion at the Raven bar. The book and early screenplays describe Marion yanking Indy into a passionate kiss before kicking him out of the Raven, but this was never shown in the film. There was also a lot more dialogue in the book, including Marion's revelation that she turned to prostitution to support herself when her father died. The complete scene was probably filmed then cut, probably because Lucas always cuts more intimate character scenes in favor of action. Lucas may also have been reluctant to taint his heroine with a somewhat disreputable past, especially in front of a young, impressionable audience. The other picture shows the film crew shooting Indy (Ford) lashed to the perioscope of the U-boat. This bit was also mentioned in the book as well as the Marvel Comic adaption, but we don't see Indy's little ride in the movie. I'm sorry they cut this scene because it creates a big plot hole for moviegoers who are left to wonder how in the heck Indy rode that sub to the Nazi base.

: I've also seen a pair of still photos from Temple of Doom and Last Crusade that were not seen in those films. The one from Temple of Doom shows Indy, Shorty and Willie climbing across a scaffolding bridge extended over a pit of molten lava. Once again, this photo shows an event that didn't make the big screen. Finally, there is a photo from Last Crusade that shows Indy with a Tarantula climbing down his shirt. The LC novelization does mention the Tarantula, but there is no such footage in the movie. Perhaps Lucas decided that the Tarantula was too derivative of the Temple scene in Raiders and cut it completely from the story.

: These are just the few cut scenes that I've noticed from my Indy memorabilia. You might be able to find more by looking through Indy articles in magazines, looking through the Topps movie cards, rereading the novels and the old screenplays, and watching some of the Making of Indy film videos. Original trailers of the films would help (trailers often show cut scenes or alternative camera angles), but I don't know any Indy site that has any of these clips. You can also find some tips on how to hunt out missing Indy scenes by looking at the Star Wars Cutting Room Floor at http://www.usticke.org/lost_sw/. You can get some good ideas on how to look for missing sequences from some of the detective work done by fans on that site. It's also a lot of fun if you're a Star Wars fan.

There were a few scenes shot for Last Crusade that were cut from the final film. For instance when Indy boards the Zepplin after he puts on the waiter's jacket he finds the radio room, knocks out the man there and
breaks the radio. They refer to this scene as they board the biplane, there's an angry quip from his dad which is answered by Indy saying, "They must have fixed the radio". You can see the scenes after a fashion in the LucasArts adventure game, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]