Re: There's more.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on April 23, 1999 at 14:02:58:

In Reply to: There's more. posted by Mithrandir on April 23, 1999 at 12:45:52:

: : : Yes, the picture quality is much better than tape even on a regular TV! DVDs are recorded in progressive scan so when you get the right newfangled digital TV and DVD player (or in this case your computer monitor already is progressive scan) in the future you will be able to watch progressive scan home video, which is much more film-like. I have seen DVDs playing through a line-doubler and an HDTV front projector which looked just stunning. It really was almost impossible to tell it wasn't film 10 feet back from the screen. And of course having the widescreen version of a movie is always preferred to crappy Pan&Scan.

: : : Looking forward to the Indy DVDs,
: : : Abner

: : :
: : : : We just got a brand spanking new computer and it has a DVD player in it. I am amazed by the sound and picture quality as opposed to video. I have recently found out something else interesting between the two: in widescreen videos, not ALL of the picture is seen; whereas DVD shows (evidently) the entire picture.

: : : : Two examples from Armageddon (for those who are willing to either find out or take my word for it): when the oil drillers and the NASA pilots meet, and the shot of the pilots after Truman says "I just thought you guys should meet", Tucker is visible/cut off in DVD/ws video. And when the pictures of the dead drillers are shown at the funeral, Noonan's picture is/is not completely shown on DVD/ws video.

: : : : Just a little bit of trivia I discovered. Yes, I'm weird.

: : : : Check six.

: : : : -Mithrandir-

: : Just received a "Communications" magazine, April 1999 issue, and it states that there will be several theaters in the US showing the new Star Wars movie in a new digital cinema projection format in a couple of months. George Lucas announced in March at the ShoWest convention in Las Vegas that the newest SW movie will take place on 4 screens beginning on June 18th in this new format. It's the start of the CineComm's uplink/downlink encripted motion picture system that will allow theaters to just receive a downlink signal from satellites for worldwide coverage, and then projecting the image through the Hughes-JVC Technology (HJT) digital projector. Digital electronic cinema is just over the horizon. The article goes on to project (pardon the pun) that there could be hundreds, perhaps thousands of these new projectors through the cinema management system within three to five years. This is believed to be the response to the challenge for today's movie theater owners by making the movie going experience a memorable one again, especially in the face of the increased competition from digital and HDTV production. We ain't seen nothing yet! Regards. Michaelson

: SW Episode One will also be the first film to use Dolby Digital 6.1 technology. For those laymen and -women out there, 6.1 means the film will produce 7 different sound channels instead of the todays-standard 6 (Dolby Digital 5.1). The six channels are left front, center front, right front, right surround, center surround (the new one), left surround, and subwoofer. "If there's 7 speakers, why is it called 6.1?" Because the subwoofer channel requires less power or frequency (forgot which - I did my last technical paper on this stuff)so it's only regarded as a tenth of a sound channel. Hence, 5.1 and 6.1. In a nutshell, there will be three sets of front speakers (one set per channel) as well as three sets of surround speakers. And I've heard from Stereo Review magazine that this can be easily set up in your own home theatre. If anyone wants to know, e me at lkaluza@swbell.net .

: Check six.

: -Mithrandir-

What really bothers me is that those of us who live in the backwaters have theaters that don't even have Dolby installed, let alone these new technological wonders that are popping up. I guess we'll just have to drive the extra miles to experience this. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]