Re: A statement.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dan from argon.plrm.larck.net on April 25, 1999 at 12:06:25:

In Reply to: Re: A statement. posted by No one, as well on April 24, 1999 at 22:20:27:

:
: : I've been working lately, and haven't had the chance to post for a while, so hey again.

: : I've noticed that we seem to be getting some flack from outsiders who don't think we should be allowed in society because we care the colour of the strap for the Mk VII gas bag Indy wore in Raiders. This has got me thinking...(prepare yourself)

: : As those of you who have read my precious posts may have noticed, I was in Germany and Switzerland for the Easter week. I did something on that trip no one in this decade would have done: I wore the fedora.

: : To my surprise, I was never really bugged about it. Sure, people would refer to me as Indy, Arkraider, or Mr. Jones, but it was all in fun. (and some of those German girls I met actually kind of liked it. coupled with a leather jacket, I was unstoppable!)

: : Then I come back, and people are asking me "why the hell did you wear that stupid thing?" "why'd you dress like Indy?" "Indy wannabe!"

: : This from people who will wear Nike, Adiddas, and Tommy just because some celebrity does.

: : I ask you: what's the basic difference? The whole get-up I wore cost about as much as the designer clothes they wore....but that's not the issue here.

: : These people are followers. Sheep, minds that can be manipulated. Somebody tries to stand out, and they berate him for it. I wore the hat for a multitude of reasons, one of them being, no one else would. I'm a non-conformist, and for years that had made me a geek with no life. But this Germany trip, something happened. I went with the jokes, laughed at myself, shrugged, and went on. The people laughed, stopped, then followed. Is this all it takes to be a leader? Individuality? What is wrong with our social envirnoment? This may sound like rambling, but I'm here to make this statement:

: : Be yourself. I'f you're an Indyfan, be proud of it. But don't, please, carbon-copy yourself after Indy. Add something of you to it. I gave it the black jeans and a hat band pin of the Canadian flag. Do something that says YOU. That's what Indy did.

: : ~The Raider

: I agree completely. Your analogy about wearing Nike or Adidas, is right on, and I would add that someone who wears a copy of a favorite quarterbacks jersey would not be ridiculed in the least. Kinda stupid isn't it? Sports are fine, movies aren't. Makes no sense. Some of the outsiders here can't resist commenting though, so I'm glad you made this statement, and said it so well. Maybe it will help them figure it out. And you're right about the followers, the world is full of them.

to No one as well,
You are right in a sense. Its ok to where the clothes from a movie that did not appear earlier than 1996. Bizzare huh?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]