Re: To Abner

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive89q.dialup.mindspring.com on April 27, 1999 at 19:14:33:

In Reply to: To Abner posted by Major Paul on April 27, 1999 at 17:50:16:

: Regarding your comments (way) below on the way Americans dress compared to Europeans. The sad fact is you're right. During Indy's time of the 1930's, Americans, though basically poor from the Depression, took great pains to dress well within their means. Today it Americans have gotten a reputation for bad dressing.
: I liked your observation about American tourists visiting Europe. I see the same thing living here in Seoul. The Koreans, men and women, dress very well. They don't run around in clownish basketball sneakers or hip hop, garbage bag size jeans. I think the nicest compliment I ever got here was when I first arrived last year. I was riding the subway and a Korean gentleman approached me and tried to speak to me in French. When he realized I was American, he quickly apologized in English and said that I did not dress like an American. I was wearing a button-down shirt, pleated trousers, and dark leather shoes!
: Do you ever feel like you were born in the wrong era? -MP

Yes! I often feel like that! It sometimes makes you wonder about reincarnation and past lives and all that. It can be dangerous though, because in over-romanticizing the past you can forsake the future. But no doubt about it, modern dress has become way too casual in the name of "comfort". It's sad, because what could be more comfortable than a properly fitting suit and pair of shoes? We are just too used to buying clothes off the rack ten sizes too big. (Maybe 'cause Americans are so fat?) But now the clothes are REALLY BIG. ( I recently saw a high school kid walking down the road wearing a hooded sweathirt and jeans and from far away I though he was a Jawa!

With regard to outdoor equipment as well, I am aware and appreciative of the benefits and practicality of modern materials like nylon and plastic, but there really WAS something great about the look of cotton canvas, leather, and brass.

It's funny, but I've had experiences abroad similar to yours. I lived in Ireland for half a year and often people would not believe I was American- they thought I was French or German or something. I guess the lack of a baseball cap, sneakers, and a Gore-Tex parka fooled them!

If you want to look European, it seems to me that you need to wear lots of BLACK. Actually, NYC is kind of like that now... "How much more black could it be? None...more black." (kind of a cliche, like the Spinal Tap album cover). I don't like to wear black (preferring brown, khaki, and other natural colors) but I do avoid jeans and sneakers.

As a whole the Irish were very well dressed, at least in Dublin. But of all the Europeans, I really liked those French girls and the way they dressed--very attractively. And that accent...

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: