Re: Cut scenes in RAIDERS

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12_686.utsi.edu on April 14, 1998 at 13:17:35:

In Reply to: Re: Cut scenes in RAIDERS posted by Adam on April 14, 1998 at 10:45:12:

: : : : Do you know if there is a scene where Imam warns Indy and Sallah that:
: : : : "Those who open the ark, and look at it's power will be destroyed"?
: : : : I thonk it's a very important phrase in the novelization of the film, and it explains why Indy closes his eyes at the end of the film.

: : : JEEPERS! I forgot. This WAS filmed as well, but it was cut. You're right -- when Indy says "Close your eyes" at the finale, it doesn't seem logical unless you've read the book or the original script. How does he know if he hasn't heard a warning? This was one of the logical inconsistancies in the film; perhaps if the filmmakers and editors left the scene in, it would not only be a good explanation, but a nice forshadowing of the dangerous powers of the Ark.

: : : Also filmed -- but cut -- was an extended moment when the Ark is opened. IOndy keeps repeating to Marion NOT to look, but -- like Pandora's box -- Marion is tempted to open her eyes by some supernatural force. "I have to look," she says over and over, "I have to look."

: : : This was filmed (you can see a part of it in the MAKING OF... documentary) but obviously it was cut. I can understand this; it might have come across as a little silly.

: : To quote our favorite person,"Haven't either of you ever gone to Sunday School?" In the Bible's Old Testament it states that no one could look upon the Ark, or touch the Ark without instantly dying. Only the priests were allowed to even enter the temple where the Ark stood behind the veil.You'll also notice that when ever the Ark was moved, it was only moved with the poles and never directly touched, or until after Belloq spoke the blessing, that the lid could be raised by hand. That really didn't need to be explained with the script. Regards. Michaelson

: Well, you do have some points here. All us Indy scholars know EXACTLY what those poles were for, and why Indy needed to close his eyes. But think about the average moviegoer seeing the film for the first time, and you'd have to agree that the insertion of these scenes would make more sense.

Probably so. All you need is one person to ask a question to know all the information isn't known. I'm just a believer that you've got to give the viewer some credit in terms of understanding what is going on in the telling of a visual story. Did we all understand the underlying storyline that took place in T of D. I had to do some research to totally understand their religion as to the cults and the Hindu belief and it's impact on what the heck it had to do with Indy. That made for interesting study. I just never feel the need to have everything explained. I appreciate Lucas and co. at least giving me that much credit. You make excellent points. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]