Re: Blades...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts2-h1-50-22.ispmodems.net on April 28, 1999 at 20:34:21:

In Reply to: Blades... posted by Indy Magnoli on April 28, 1999 at 19:16:26:

Bear hasn't been around that long, but they make some really nice knives. They are one of the few companies that make production knives with damascus steel blades. Very cool. I think that the blade is either a drop point or a spear point, there are really only a couple good frames to check, and I can't decide which I think it is. But you are right, I don't think it's fat enough to be a "canoe". I'm starting to lean toward a "trapper" style because the movie knife looks to have a long (like 4" or bigger) blade, and most knives that size with spear point blade are trappers. Or I could be completely wrong.

The scales do look like bone to me, but I'll look again tonight (hate that :-)> ). They may well be dark stag.

Do you think it might be a lockback, because of the way he closes it? If it is it may be a "copperlock" style knife.

John D
: Bear is a fairly new company, isn't it? I don't think they've been making knives that long.

: As for the blade, I can't watch my videos while living Down Under (damned PAL format!) but I think it's a drop point. I don't think it's as fat as a "canoe" style probably something similar to the shape of the main Victorianox blade but bigger?

: I'm still pretty sure the scales are stag and not jigged bone though. But, like I said, I don't have my videos to check.

: Keep up the quest,
: Indy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: