Re: Double buckle on bag strap.. I Agree!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cap'n Paul from 204.208.137.170 on April 14, 1998 at 13:37:10:

In Reply to: Re: Double buckle on bag strap.. I Agree! posted by BAM on April 14, 1998 at 11:22:16:

: Totally agree with everyone. It's what you want it to look like that counts. In movies they only use what they can get - there are no real rules to stick to. Artistic licencing I think - even down to the costumes. The bag I have has 2 drain / breather holes but again there were a few variations in these bags anyway.

: Just as a point of interest - no-one seems to be asking too much about Indy's trouser / pants belt. The standard brass roller on a web belt. But again there's a change from film to film. In Raiders & TOD Indy has a brown web belt with the brass roller but in LC , it's khaki.

: Again it's what's avail at the time the movies made. Anyone have any clues about the brown web belt? I know the US military in WW2 had a tan web belt with brass roller, khaki is associated alot with air force / navy officers, etc.

: Khaki belts with brass roller used to be avail from The Cockpit in Long Island NY.

: regards all,

: BAM

: The belt holding up Indy's trousers looks a lot like the current trouser belt and buckle for the USMC/Navy. The belt is a tan (khaki) cotton webbing with a brass tip and the buckle is brass. The buckle is designed to come off so you can trim the belt to obtain a proper fit around the waist. From the films, Indy appears to have about three inches of excess belt sticking out of the buckle. You can order the Khaki belt with tip from the Ranger Joe's Spring '98 catalog. (Call 1-800-247-4541 or www.rangerjoe.com) The belt with tip is $3.99 but don't order the USMC buckle. That's an open face design. The Army buckle looks more like Indy's and is also brass. It also costs $3.99. (The reason why they sell them as two pieces is because the soldiers replace the buckles when they get nicked up. Inspections and all that, you know.)
Anyways, it's real shiny so you'll have to remove the lacquer with nail polish remover and then let the brass age naturally. The belt you can just throw in the wash a couple times to get nice and worn. -CP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]