Re: More Sub-shenanagins

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Drone32 from 208.248.107.153 on April 30, 1999 at 07:59:20:

In Reply to: Re: Sub-shenanagins posted by Mark Indy on April 29, 1999 at 16:48:42:

: Thanks for the responds and theories, guys. I suppose any and all explanations would work, considering the forsight it would require when writing a script, so much is left to chance. We can excuse them because they didn't forsee our scrutiny of the story-line. Michaelson brings up another good point as well; since Indy swam out to the sub w/out his gear, how and when did he get his gear back? We know that Indy and the "pirates" part on good terms, due to the mutual exchange of naval salutes as Indy boarded the sub, suppose they ported and got in touch w/him, or returned the gear care of Sallah? hmmm... Now for the next one: How did Indiana and Marion get off the island? Not all of the German troops were at the ceremony of the ark, and the island contained a somewhat substantial amount of military personnel including Kriegsmarine. I know, I know, another story-line gap, but intriguing nontheless.

:Cheers,
:drone32

: : This does get bantered around now and again. The original screen play had him lash himself to the periscope and hang on to the sub pen. But then he swam out to the sub without his gear, so that didn't work. Another argument has been that since there was not a war in that part of the world at that time, the sub proceeded to the island on the surface, as subs get better speed that way and the point was to get to the island at all possible speed. Downside to that is that you hear the captain order the sub to dive in german, so that really doesn't fly either. It's possible that it could have dived to tower depth and proceeded, as this was a practice of the US Navy to keep the sub topside while maintaining the boat at low profile in the water and keep from being sighted over the horizon as quickly. Why they'd want to do that is a puzzle, but it's possible, therefore giving Indy a chance to have a foothold somewhere on the topside of the sub. It's definately a loose item in the mix, and your spin on it is as good as the next fan. Regards. Michaelson

: IMO it was kind of foolish of Indy to try and hitch a ride on that sub... what was he thinking!!! But trimming hull-down like you said Michaelson was practiced a lot by the Kriegsmarine as well, especially for reduced visibility during convoy attacks... Werner Henke and his U-515 used to love it. It's one more theory to add to the others, but none of them are perfect unfortunately, I'm afraid we'll never solve that one - better just leave it to the imagination. : )

: Cheers!
: Mark

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: