Re: Very little....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Satipo from host5-171-249-185.btinternet.com on April 30, 1999 at 16:52:35:

In Reply to: Very little.... posted by Michaelson on April 29, 1999 at 09:41:29:

The poster's name and registered IP address don't match. This post is probably the work of an impersonator, take it with a grain of salt:

: : Hi everyone,

: : I just thought of the topic for my latest post.
: : What does everyone think of the OLD Indy character
: : portrayed (ADMIRABLY in my opinion) by George Hall?
: : Did it add layers to the character of Indiana Jones or
: : was he too soft for you to take? please let me know
: : cause I am in the process of writing a paper and I would
: : love ALOT of input!

: : Thanks in advance,

: : regards

: : DrJones

: I personally like George Hall, especially his work on AMC's show "Remember WENN", but the old Indy character I just did not like at all. He didn't add anything but a sad commentary as to what Indy ended up as, a one eyed old codger who cornered people with his war stories, rather than still being a force at a university to deal with, as his father was at his age, still viable, still participating. Speaking for myself, I understood the meaning of the patch over the eye as Lucas' salute to his favorite director, John Ford, but I didn't like seeing Indy disfigured that way, as we had seen him dodge bullets, rolling boulders, arrows, etc, and pretty much walked away unscathed. A little worse for wear, but still standing tall. To see him with such a brutal injury did not sit well with me, and didn't add ANYTHING to the characterization for my part. I did not miss him when they pulled his bookends off of the YIJC series. Regards. Michaelson

I agree with you, Michaelson (chapters four and five). I tend to judge all portrayals of the Indy character against the one we see in Raiders, which I consider to be the one, true Indy. While I enjoyed YIJC as a programme in its own right, I dismissed it as an explanation of the development of Indy's character. Raiders gave me the impression that Indy was a man who reluctantly dealt with dangerous situations, but was not constantly living his life on a knife edge, hence his slight hesitancy and clumsiness in such instances. This awkwardness and inexperience was a major part of the character's appeal to me. The other films and YIJC began to suggest the less believable notion that Indy has always experienced danger at every turn in his life. The life of young Indy as portrayed at the beginning of Crusade and throughout YIJC was far too packed full of extreme experiences to be credible for me. Such a fully spent youth would have resulted in a much more world-wise character than the slightly naive and clumsy Indy we see in Raiders. So the portrayal of old Indy, at the end of each YIJC episode, was totally off target for me. Although pretty clumsy in tight situations, Indy always had the devil's luck and should not have sustained such a permanently disabling injury as losing an eye. Indiana Jones without his incredible luck is, well, not Indiana Jones. Luck and determination are the essences of the character. I also believe that it is not natural for the character to be pestering strangers left, right and centre with stories of his past, as he wasn't a very sociable man in Raiders. I'm sure that the actor who played old Indy performed the part well; it's just that the part wasn't written very well.

Adios,

Satipo

p.s. Yes it is the real Satipo. I'll get on to Micah about adding this computer to his records of valid forum users.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]