That's logical. Thanks guys. : ) (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Indy from emb-r1-p455.cybertrails.com on April 30, 1999 at 19:46:55:

In Reply to: Re: Shoulder bag detail question... posted by Drone32 on April 30, 1999 at 11:22:01:

: : : Can anybody figure out what that little metal disc on one side of the bag and the string on the other are for? Something for securing the webbing strap perhaps? I'm not sure whether this was in the movies but I don't have access to my tapes right now to check.

: : : Cheers, mates!
: : : Mark

: : I'm not sure but I think it's there so that you wrap the string from the other side of the bag around your waist and then around the disc to secure it. I doubt it was done much in practice, judging from the WW2 pics I've seen of people wearing the bag. You can see the disc in the movies. I have a picture of the bag with the mask I will try to post if I get access to a scanner anytime soon.

: : Cheers,
: : Abner

: : I do think that Abner has hit the nail on the head. Like the GI gas mask bag of WW1, the Brit bag can be hung around the front of the body in the "ready" position. I believe that the string, in this case, is simply taken around the back of the wearer, and wrapped around the metal disk, thereby securing the thing to you (so it doesn't flop too much when running.) I worked at an Army store for a few years, and most of the military gas bags from that era (30's 40's) are somewhat similar in design and function. I agree that it was probably a good design on paper but not very durable for military use.

: Cheers!
: drone32
: (a lot o' bloody 'cheering' blokes, are we not?!)I'll raise my mug to yas

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: