Re: Linings

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive8n3.dialup.mindspring.com on May 04, 1999 at 06:36:25:

In Reply to: Re: Linings posted by red four on May 03, 1999 at 22:04:44:

:
: : : : Glad I could help. Could you tell me your preference as to the lining. I'm thinking of ordering a satin lining, but I'm worried it will be too warm. What do you think?

: : : : Thank you,

: : : : John D

: : I have the cotton lining which is very nice and smooth as far as cotton goes but I wanted to try for the satin which looks better and will hopoefully pick up less cat hair. If it's too warm, it's probably too warm for the jacket. I'm guessing they switched over to the cotton for comfort because the films were shot in VERY hot climates but realistically how often do you wear the jacket in India or South America? It's too bad they don't make a silk lining-- That would have the benefit of being more authentic to the 1930s, look really sharp, and as a natural fabric would breathe as easy as cotton I imagine. Another thing-they say the Crusade Jacket had a cotton lining, but if you look close in the scene where Indy and his Dad are sitting on the motorcycle before they go to Berlin, the lining looks shiny like satin. However, it is hard to ascertain anything accurate about the props from the films. Still, I wonder if some of the Jackets had a satin lining for closeup shots.

: : Gonna call Wested tommorrow- I hope it's not too late!
: : The information on their company website is the same as Diggs, so they better change it to be more accurate.

: : Cheers,
: : Abner

: Thanks Abner, the lining has been the sticking point for me before I order my jacket. I want the satin lining too, the jacket will slip on and off easily.

: Thanks again,

: John D

John, the cotton lining does grip your clothes a bit taking it on and off. However, it's not that big a deal but if you have a light-haired pet the hairs stick to it as well hich is can be annoying. Anyway, I just got off the phone with Peter Botwright and had a very interesting conversation. I asked him about the linings and he said there is very little difference between the two as far as "warmth" is concerned. However, he said that since they didn't have synthetic fabrics in the 1930s the cotton is more authentic to the time period. I asked him about silk but he said cotton was used in the bomber jackets he copied for "the Memphis Belle". However, I'm sure silk WAS used in some WW2-era jackets, maybe only the early ones and then conserved to make parachutes, and that during the war uniforms were made from so many different companies all over the place that there are many variations.

Cheers,
Abner

PS- I also found out that during the filming of the truck scene in Raiders, FIVE jackets were trashed, and that some of the jackets used in Temple of Doom by the stuntmen were leftovers from Raiders (also some were copies made in France).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]