Re: T of D hat Michaelson

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on May 04, 1999 at 13:36:55:

In Reply to: T of D hat Michaelson posted by Steve on May 04, 1999 at 13:06:21:

: Thanks for the info. I agree HJ probaly did produce the hats for all the Indy movies. They just don't look like the same model of hat. I in fact do own one of Gary's hats and I am pleased with the quality. The biggest difference that I can see in hats offered by other people is the height of the crown. They are too short! This one difference is more important than some would think. My Nostalgia came with a 5 " open crown, and sitting beside my repro it looks squatty, for lack of a better term. I have spoken with a hatter from Chicago who maintains that people like Stetson who mass produce hats are not set up to make this taller crown. I sorta believe that due to my observation of various mass produced hats made in this country. They all seem to be of the shorter crown variety. You seemingly have to resort to a custom hatter, or buy from abroad. My local retailer is checking to see if Stetson can produce a nostalgia with a 5 1\2 to 6" open crown. Hopefully I'll find out soon. My main motivation is to find a hat that is much cheaper than the current options. It really hurts to shell out, in my case 350.00 for another one. Gary White told me that he produced the last hat for Indy as well. I took that with a grain of salt. Buyer beware never becomes outdated. Since you are the lucky owner of an original, would you be so kind as to pass on to me some specs? Height of crown in front, on the sides, ribbon width, and brim dimensions. Thanks, Steve

I'll be more than happy to supply that for you Steve, but since I'm not at home, I'll need to measure it tonight and post either tomorrow or the next day the results. I do believe that it is 5 1/2" with the bash, though. My Broner's are 5 1/2" as well, so there have been several companies out there who used to use the correct height crown in the past. I agree with you, though, that lately it seems they've shortened the crown to save on costs. Stay tuned. I'll measure the fedora. I do know that this Stetson did not have the dimensional cut brim and is 2 5/8" wide, but then it was created for the background stand in actors and not for the foreground people, so they saved on costs there too. Regards. Michaelson

:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]