Re: For those who believe that Ford IS Indy...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LFM from Gomerensis.dw.net on May 04, 1999 at 15:16:14:

In Reply to: For those who believe that Ford IS Indy... posted by Rob Roy on May 04, 1999 at 10:40:38:

: You're right. He is Indiana Jones. He is different from many other hero film stars because he originated from a screenplay. And that brings up an interesting situation. Unlike Dracula or Superman or Sherlock Holmes, fans of Indiana Jones have a definitive look attached. Harrison Ford. It is his mannerisms, voice and actions that have given life to Indiana Jones. It is impossible to think of any other person playing him. I agree completely.

: Nevertheless, within fifty, eighty, maybe a hundred years, if civilization still exists, the movie industry WILL revisit Indiana Jones. He has already become legendary, and will surely stay in the hearts and minds of generations to come. And, barring certain cryogenic or genetic engineering advances, I can almost guarantee that Ford will not be playing him. Why? Because these future fans will have realized something that all you "Ford or nothing" fans haven't. Indiana Jones is a CHARACTER, not an actor. A character, by definition, is the personality or part that an actor recreates. RE-creates. Meaning the character existed before the actor portrayed them. And so the character will exist after the actor is long gone. And will so exist when said character is portrayed by another actor. THAT is how you immortalize a character. You keep them going, not try and bottle them up for yourself. Trying to "savor" the Indiana Jones you all know and love is selfish beyond all comprehension. If fans of Bela Lugosi had won the right to deny future audiences of Dracula, we would not have been allowed the privilege to enjoy the many interpretations of such a magnanimous personage. The same goes for Shakespeare, Holmes or Dickens. Good or bad it doesn't matter. No single generation has the right to say what is perfect or sacred. There would be no sense in it after a hundred years, and there is no logic in trying to do it now. I say thank you to Harrison Ford for three great and memorable films. Now let's see someone else play the part.

: Rob, a true Indy fan

What you said was totally true...I agree with you completely...but...I also think that it's a shame those future generations won't have gotten to experience Indy the way we have. I mean when I first saw Sabrina, I saw that 95 version with Harrison Ford. I had no idea that it was remake and I totally thought that Harrison was Linus. You know, that Harrison was the first and only Linus. Well then I learned that the great Bogey had been in the original. I saw the original as well as the remake but I can only picture Harrison as Linus now. I'm afraid that that's what's going to happen to Indy and I guess that's why I'm a Ford or nothing person. I want people to know that Harrison Ford is the one and only "real" Indiana Jones. And I'm sure to all the readers out there, unless those books show pictures, you all think of Harrison when you go through those pages. I just don't want Indy to be recognized as anyone else but Harrison.
LFM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]