Re: Stetson Indy Laurie

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Laurie Jensen from proxy2-external.frmt1.sfba.home.com on May 05, 1999 at 00:33:19:

In Reply to: Stetson Indy Laurie posted by Steve on May 04, 1999 at 08:49:00:

: Actually I am trying to find a hat to replicate the look of Indy's in TOD. It's obvious to me that the same hat wasn't used in all three movies. The one that HJ sales is obviously the Raiders hat. Gary
: White told me that the second hat was acquired by HJ in Austria. I do know one thing, the current HJ hat isn't the hat I'm looking for right now. In the future I may purchase a HJ hat. It is cheaper than Gary's, and is the real thing. Plus Gary's hat comes with a 2 7\8 " brim that I cut down to the right size. And his ribbon is 1 3\4" wide not the proper 1 1\2". By the way, my Stetson Nostalgia and Stetson Temple both came with 1 3\4" ribbon. Perhaps the can be ordered with the proper size ribbon, but I wasn't given that option from my local retailer.

Well, if your looking for the TOD style, a poster here bought another Herbert Johnson hat, the McAlpine, that looks very much like the fedora in TOD. He had them cut it to Indy specs and replaced the ribbon with something closer to the real thing. Unfortunately, the hat is almost as expensive as the Poet, coming in with a cool $280 sticker price. If your looking for something cheaper, you might want to take your Temple to a hat maker and have them re-block the hat so that it doesn't peak. The Nostaglia and Indy 005 look more like the Crusade hat to me, and the other Indy lookalikes just aren't accurate enough. BTW, after reading about the sizing of your ribbon, I went back and measured mine. Sure enough, it was 1 3/4. I guess this is the standard for both the Stetson Indy styles. If you want to get more authentic , you can have the ribbon replaced, either with a lookalike, or with real Petersham.

If you want to see the McAlpine, go to:

http://members.xoom.com/p08luger/fedora/indy/html

There are also comparison pictures of all the other Indy type hats. Maybe something there will strike your fancy, though I think you already have the best alternatives in the lower price range. Oh, it was Indy Magnoli who bought the hat. If you have questions, you might want to email him for the specs of his hat and any other pertinent information.

Good luck.

Laurie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: