Mmmmmmmm! Some Indy criticisms ahead!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HANNIBAL KING from 216.140.133.33 on May 05, 1999 at 05:07:50:

In Reply to: Re: SEQUEL PHILOSOPHY posted by Rob on May 04, 1999 at 21:35:53:

Before we start getting into a debate that appeared in Scream 2 - I think that Superman II was a better novie than Superman. I thought that Aliens was on a par with Alien! Superman 3 and Alien 3 were both iffy! Nightmare on Elm St 3 was far superior to 2, but granted not as good as the first one. In some very rare cases a series of movies can improve. Goldfinger was a better Bond movie than Dr No or From Russia With Love! However, unfortunately most of the subsequent 15 Bond movies have followed the same template! A template that I can see forming in the Indy movies!

A) Iccky animal scene! Snakes, Bugs, Rats, Spiders!
B) Deadly death trap(s)!
C) Indy ultimately loses the treasure - but gains something in return - Marion, his father, a respect for history!
D) A big battle / chase on some moving vehicle (I mean, where else can this theme go? We've had trucks, minecars, tanks; and the tank sequence was merely a rehash of the truck chase) I guess Indy IV could have a battle on a train. What else is there? A tank chase involving two tanks? How many times has Bond been involved in a ski chase, or a carchase, or a motorboat chase? This is just a necessity of action films! There is only so much that can be done!

I love Indy (but I am realistic in my adoration - I think that the films have lost quality as they've went on! I don't think that every scene has worked. I hate the Mine car chase - it involves too many model shots and puppet shots and is uninvolving and bland!)

I'd love to see Indy IV and at a stretch Indy V (but only if they're good!)

I mean would the Lethal Weapon series have lost anything without the inclusion of a bland and lazy fourth intsalment?)

Seeya Hannibal.

: But, in the case of Superman, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Jaws, Alien, etc... the first installment was the only good one. Parts 2, 3, and 4 were ALL crappy. And as far as the Police Academy's are concerned - well, they ALL left a lot to be desired.

: Rob
: ---

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: