Re: Why...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert from port3.westworld.ca on May 05, 1999 at 14:02:46:

In Reply to: Why... posted by Groo on May 05, 1999 at 11:28:09:

: ...does everyone insist on changing the character and well the basic philosophy of Indy. Far be it from me to bash Hannibal's entertaining short story, however I cringe every time I read fiction that takes a well established character and turns their very motivation in a complete 180 degrees from where they belong. I submit that Last Crusade is the reason there will be no Indy IV. Lucas strayed too far from the basic element of the formula. Indy IS a selfish glory-hound who has no trouble taking a human life to meet his goal. This gritty somewhat seedy element is what makes the character so interesting. Admittedly, he is usually killing some very evil creatures, however in Raiders he acknowledges that he is more like Belloq than not. This is what I found so intriguing; the fact that this man is so unrelenting and indomitable, yet he still tries to act the part of the selfless academic. The duality of his life. Not the vomit inducing chant, "That belongs in a museum!!!" from Crusade. Crusade had a whole underlying element of redemption, as if Lucas thought that in this politically correct age we could no longer get behind a character with some dark elements. Perhaps the times have changed too much for Indy to have mass appeal.
: My Observations,
: Groo

The redemption part is with Indy getting back with his father, he no longer is interested in the artifact, just to find his father.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]