WHY? WHY WHAT!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HANNIBAL KING from 216.140.133.33 on May 06, 1999 at 05:14:07:

Hey,
I do not think that I changed the motivation behind Indy's character in chapter one of my serial! I may be wrong (and I'm not taking the criticism personally), but as someone who is writing a fan fiction based on an established character I feel that I have to stick with established continuity. I've made my position on the trilogy clear a number of times on the forum. I love Raiders, I really like Temple of Doom, I like Last Crusade. The first one is a perfect movie (in my opinion), sure it's full of bad continuity errors and dodgy historical anomalies. But the pacing, acting, direction, humour is all absolutely spot on.

I also don't think that the change in Indy's character has a whole load to do with political correctness. I tend to feel that the phrase PC is becoming a little over used. The Indy movies are not in the slightest bit politically correct. Dodgy racial characterisation, very cliched characters for the women (strong but still in distress, weak and noisy and in distress, ice cold woman who sleeps her way to her goals). I love this because it sticks with the established pulp action formulas. I tend to think, however, that the change in Indy's character is parallel to the changes in Han Solos and Luke Skywalkers characters. Also exhibited in Madmartigans and Willow Ufgoods characters. It's an established path that fictional characters have always went through! Odysseus, Jason, Perseus all go through transitions through the course of their journeys. Lucas has frequently quoted Joseph Campbells "Hero with a thousand faces" as being inspirational to his work. So I really don't think you can blame PC for this!

I don't know if I like the change in Indys character too much either - however, it was implimented a long time before I wrote chapter one. If I write another story I may set it in 1933 or something and use a brasher, and more ruthless Indy.

Anyway, thanks for the creative criticism Groo. I'm glad you found it entertaining.

Seeya Hannibal.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]