Re: I wholeheartedly agree on the appeal of that era

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive8av.dialup.mindspring.com on May 06, 1999 at 10:28:12:

In Reply to: Re: I wholeheartedly agree on the appeal of that era posted by Michaelson on May 06, 1999 at 07:56:14:

: Actually, yes, you could travel with a weapon in your luggage (though not exactly legal), and could until the early 60's when the first Cuban hijacking occurred. That's when all the security screening first began in US airports, and it's been downhill ever since. Regards. Michaelson

Wow. Thanks for the info. I guess Indy could also get away with it because at that time very few people travelled by plane which was prohibitively expensive and took a boat instead. (Air service must have been very personal in the days before jets and microscopic seats. The steward even says, "Nice to have you with us again Dr. Jones" or something similar.)

However, despite the price of plane tickets in the 30's I've always wondered why 3 thousand dollars would get Marion back to the States "but not in style". I mean 3,000 dollars was a TON of money back then (it still is a lot today- part of me always feels bad when it goes up in smoke in the movie).

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: