WHY? WHY WHAT! well......

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on May 06, 1999 at 11:24:01:

In Reply to: WHY? WHY WHAT! posted by HANNIBAL KING on May 06, 1999 at 05:14:07:

: Hey,
: I do not think that I changed the motivation behind Indy's character in chapter one of my serial! I may be wrong (and I'm not taking the criticism personally), but as someone who is writing a fan fiction based on an established character I feel that I have to stick with established continuity. I've made my position on the trilogy clear a number of times on the forum. I love Raiders, I really like Temple of Doom, I like Last Crusade. The first one is a perfect movie (in my opinion), sure it's full of bad continuity errors and dodgy historical anomalies. But the pacing, acting, direction, humour is all absolutely spot on.

: I also don't think that the change in Indy's character has a whole load to do with political correctness. I tend to feel that the phrase PC is becoming a little over used. The Indy movies are not in the slightest bit politically correct. Dodgy racial characterisation, very cliched characters for the women (strong but still in distress, weak and noisy and in distress, ice cold woman who sleeps her way to her goals). I love this because it sticks with the established pulp action formulas. I tend to think, however, that the change in Indy's character is parallel to the changes in Han Solos and Luke Skywalkers characters. Also exhibited in Madmartigans and Willow Ufgoods characters. It's an established path that fictional characters have always went through! Odysseus, Jason, Perseus all go through transitions through the course of their journeys. Lucas has frequently quoted Joseph Campbells "Hero with a thousand faces" as being inspirational to his work. So I really don't think you can blame PC for this!

: I don't know if I like the change in Indys character too much either - however, it was implimented a long time before I wrote chapter one. If I write another story I may set it in 1933 or something and use a brasher, and more ruthless Indy.

: Anyway, thanks for the creative criticism Groo. I'm glad you found it entertaining.

: Seeya Hannibal.

I enjoyed your first entry, Hannibal. Stating my opinion only, a problem might be that most writers of the Indyfan group (not all, mind you) believe that they must continue in the same venue that the published novel writers have, that being to completely fill in all the blanks left regarding Indy's character, life and perceived thoughts. I've been VERY fortunate to have had several writers contact me off line and ask me to read stories they've written, and let me tell you folks, there are VERY talented writers in the shadows writing some of the best stuff I've read in a long LONG time. They are content to tell a new story/adventure using Indy as the strong hero as first seen from Raiders, and without trying to have us understand his childhood, fears, etc, but just allow us to enjoy another wild ride with our favorite archeologist. I've read in these postings that some believe that the development of his character is important, as no one individual could pack as much "adventuring" into one lifetime and in such a short time period to be believable. Well, I grew up reading the Hardy Boys. I forget how many of those mystery/adventures those two brothers had, and all in the 3 years of their high school. Never once did it cross my mind that it was impossible to have that many adventures in such a short time span. I just enjoyed the stories as they came and looked forward to the next one. It's easy to critique someone else's work because the critic only has to read through for enjoyment and watch out for the "bumps in the road" that the writer may have missed. Critics aren't the ones who sweated through the continuity or formation of the idea. I salute all who work at this craft, and it is just that, a craft. In my humble opinion, maybe what's needed is less analyzation of the character, and more of the stories that we all fell in love with from Raiders. That's what I enjoy. Like I said, it's just my opinion, but one I've stated in postings before. And to all who are writing, please, keep up the great work. I have noticed that Tessa has written huge amounts of story lines, but to date I haven't been able to get into those zip files, so I haven't been able to read any of those. As to the two working serial stories, GREAT!! The styles are different enough to not bore one with details, and the styles are totally different, so thanks to Micah and both writers for these efforts. I've rambled enough for now. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]