Re: Maybe someone should mummify the movie...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-25.COL.cableone.net on May 06, 1999 at 22:13:25:

In Reply to: Maybe someone should mummify the movie... posted by Aquinas on May 06, 1999 at 16:47:38:

: I am getting a little tired of the Indy imposter thing. I admit I am going to go see this mummy movie but, honestly it looks like an amalgam of Indiana Jones, Stephen King, and Stargate. Please. I hope to be proven wrong; however the special effects look good. Summer Blockbusters kill me.
: You have to admit opening any movie near Episode I shows alot of guts.
: We'll see.

: On an Indy note, I am thinking of spending money on a fedora. I have the money and want to get the best and most authentic one. Yes, I have gone through X marks the spot. I want to glean some of your opinions before I take the plunge. Thanks for any help, opinions, ideas. Best to all.

: --- Aquinas

Heck, I'll skip the movie and put in my two cents worth on the fedora. With the exception of the HJ fedora and Gary white's repro, the pickings are pretty slim. I own a couple of different Stetson's, but they have one draw back, they have short crowns. It is my humble opinion that in order to " get that look ", you must invest in the taller crown variety. Otherwise, you end up with a squatty hat, and resemble Jack Ruby instead of Indiana Jones. I purchased the fedora that Gary White offers and was very pleased with the "look" along with the quality of the hat itself. But be forwarned, his ribbon is too wide-1 3\4", and his fedoras come with a brim that is 2 7\8" He doesn't have the tooling to cut dimensional brims. I made a template and cut mine down to the proper size, but need to find a supplier of some proper sized petersham ribbon to finish up the project. Now with all of this in mind, I think your best course of action is to seek out the HJ fedora. If I had to buy mine again, this is what I would do. But I know of one other alternative. Theres a hatter in Chicago who will make this taller fedora for you. You must send him pictures of the hat you want, front, back, and side views, along with ribbon and brim specifications, and of course the size. Oh, and also the color. But here again, he can't cut dimensional brims. He informed me that his hats are made of beaver and mink, no rabbit fur used. His price for these custom made fedoras is 280.00. I think this is the same price as the HJ fedora. Gary White's fedora set me back 350.00, he gave me a break on the price because he said I was a likable person. I was impressed by this gesture as I already knew his going rate was 395.00. I am currently searching for a fedora with this taller crown that isn't so darn expensive. Personally I am not a purist when it comes to fedoras. I would be very happy owning several that had that Indy look, but at a price substantially lower than the current offerings. I'll keep everyone posted on my search.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]