Re: But I defer...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Galacter from ts001d03.las-nv.concentric.net on May 07, 1999 at 03:03:03:

In Reply to: Rebuttal posted by graml on May 06, 1999 at 08:08:39:

: Hey. I really respect someone when they stand up for something they believe
: in. And I really believe that those Caiden novels really just sucked. Indy
: was no archaeologist in these novels; he was a spy. And not even a very good
: one. The plots were slow, meandering and at times laughably bad. I felt like
: they'd been poorly translated from Hindi or something. Anyway, I applaud your
: taking of an unpopular stand. Just my two (liberal minded) cents.
: -graml

Sorry your communicative skills are not coming across very clear. Your comment that Indy was no archeologist: what?!?!? One of the coolest things about 'Sky Pirates' was Caidin didn't reveal how Indy had gotten invlved until near the end of it - and then it was because of his archeological skills (he had needed to devise a 'tracer' artifact to ensnare the bad guys with).

Your comment that he was a spy, but not a good one: what basis do you say that on? Include some examples next time. He came across in the novel as a rather model spy - extremely appropriate when you consider Indy's dad is James Bond (both figuratively and literally).

Notice McCoy pretty much ripped this novel clean for a segment in 'Hollow Earth' (Indy puts a team together and then they modify a plane, blah-blah).

Don't get me wrong; McCoy is a so-so writer. He can be colorful and lively one paragraph, then all too imagination-less the next. 'Philopher's Stone' was a cut above the DH comic of the subject, but it was still very lame as far as an Indy novel goes. I say THAT based on the fact that the intro-story w/ the crystal skull was typical and not freely imaginative (having read RM's 'Seven Veils' explains how that happened. The use of Belloq was more gratuitous than imformative or characteristic (his appearance in 'Hollow Earth' was much better, and one of a few true highlights in the book). The use of Sallah also seemed forced and never really came across with the warmth generated by the good chem of HF and JRD. And so on...

I'll reiterate: 'Dinosaur's Eggs' was a true masterpiece - one of the greatest, if the THE greatest Indy novel. I'm thinking it might have been a fluke though, as both PS and HE came out lame, and I'm saving SoTS for the next time I crave a good Indy story when nothing else is going on. Read the first couple of chapters to whet my appetite and so far I've liked it alot. I'm hoping it'll continue in that vein.

Ne wayz...

G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: