Why aren't there more IJ books?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nick Kismet from ppp-22-pm1-beaverton.spiretech.com on May 07, 1999 at 10:18:06:

A subject near and dear to my heart...Why aren't there more novels. For God's sake, the Hercules and Highlander seried haven't been around that long, and they are already surpassing (quantity-wise) Indy. To say nothing of Star Wars and Star Trek.
The reason? Because Bantam seems to be limiting itself to one author at a time, unlike every other franchise, and because (I am sad to say) they are only writing these things for the fans. What's wrong with that? Well, without broader appeal, sales are never going to be stellar. The vicious circle begins, as the publisher begins to question whether or not the series is worth pursuing. They certainly wonder how much money and effort to put into publicity. So, fewer and fewer novels are released (not even one a year, lately.) There aren't really any similar genres of adventure or sci-fi to help Indy along, so there is nothing to boost sales. Heck, even many of the fans devoted enough to visit the IJ websites and read fan fiction, haven't read all of the novels. The eventual result can only be the death of the series, and that is a fate I hope Indy can escape.
So what can we, the fans do? I'm still working on that part, but my dream is that someday, every time I go to the bookstore, I will see a new Indy novel...a really good one.
In fact, I would love to see a hardcover release. The James Bond novel series, which also seems to limit itself to one chronicler at a time, is going strong with hardcover releases. I think that by hyping IJ just a little more, not only would sales increase, but demand for more IJ movies as well.
Well, I've taken up enough space here. But I am open to ideas. What can we do to make the IJ novels as popular as the Star Wars novels?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]