Caution & Indiana Jones--two unrelated concepts(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nick Kismet from ppp-36-pm1-beaverton.spiretech.com on May 07, 1999 at 15:01:40:

In Reply to: a word of caution posted by walker on May 07, 1999 at 13:37:10:

: Since I work in publishing, I figure I'd better give a little advice in this instance. Take it as you will...

: First off - and this may sound obvious, but it'll save you from pissing somebody off - don't call and ask an editor if they would be interested in seeing your work. They're too busy to take calls from unsolicited sources, and unless I'm wrong, none of us have agents to place the call on our behalf. Instead, send a query letter that includes two things:
: 1) Ask if there are plans to continue the Indiana Jones series, and
: 2) Submit a BRIEF description of you and your story (no more than two pages). Simply ask if they're interested in seeing your work. Don't send manuscript samples unless requested. I also recommend buying a book on writing and submitting query letters.

: Second - So far as I know, no one on the forum has written a novel (except for Nick Kismet - way to go Nick!) and as that's the case, what are you going to submit? Submitting a short story in the hopes that it will make someone believe you have a novel in you isn't advisable. Don't get me wrong, please! I think it would be great for one of us to submit something, we've just got to be realistic about it. To this end, see point number three.

: Third - Develop the storyline for an actual novel. Write a complete outline and at least two complete chapters. These need to be your very best work ever. Send your query letter and if you receive a positive response, they will ask for those two things. If that happens, get a good contract lawyer or solicit for a good agent, telling them you have a possible sale to Bantam books.

: Good Luck everybody! If you want recommended titles on how to get published, email me and I'll send you a list.
: Regards,
: walker

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: