Re: We also just got back from The Mummy -- REALLY AWESOME!!! GO SEE IT!!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brisco from fwk098144.res-hall.nwu.edu on May 08, 1999 at 14:09:44:

In Reply to: We also just got back from The Mummy -- REALLY AWESOME!!! GO SEE IT!!! posted by Brett and James Lambert on May 07, 1999 at 21:21:45:

Well, it was definitely very enjoyable, but I'm not quite as enthusiastic as you guys are. A good time all around, but far from Indy calibar. And Brenden Fraser has NOTHING on Harrison Ford. (Or Sean Patrick Flanner, for that matter.) In my opinion, there's no way he could play Indiana Jones (not that that would ever happen). But for his role in The Mummy, he was very good. There wasn't an original moment in the whole movie, but it was a very GOOD derivitave film, not a bad rip-off movie. (The steals ran the gamut from all three Indy movies to Evil Dead 2 to Gunga Din to Jason and the Arognauts to The English Patient... everything except the Karloff Mummy!) You see these references and you cheer and smile, knowing they're intentional references and not feeling annoyed that "they got this from Raiders!" or anything like that. I'd definitely recomend it, too, but don't go expecting Indy-level quality, or you'll be disappointed. My favorite part was (very minor SPOILER ahead!!!) when John Hannah (who was excellent!) got caught up in the crowd of Mummy-brainwashed people and started chanting "Im-HO-tep" to fit in. Very humorous.
Brisco

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]