Re: MUMMY Review

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Danno from 228.dayton-06-07rs.oh.dial-access.att.net on May 08, 1999 at 18:36:09:

In Reply to: MUMMY Review posted by Abner on May 08, 1999 at 16:07:17:

: Since everyone else seems to be adding their thoughts on the movie I'd thought I'd contribute some of my own...First of all, I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I especially liked the comedic aspects to the film- it had the whole audience laughing in many parts. The film made fun of itself and of the horror/adventure genre in general but in a fun sort of way. That being said, it was definitely not an Indiana Jones caliber film. I think my main criticism would be that it didn't try to create a realistic enough world on screen. What I mean is that one of the things I love about the Indiana Jones movies is that as unrealistic as they are, they do a good job of convincing you that what you are seeing is real or could have really happened. While the actions may be preposterous, the sets, dialogue, photography, and characters are realistic enough to bring you along thinking things ARE real. The MUMMMY, on the other hand, had more of a fantasy feeling to it which reminded me of the Fifth Element. I think part of this is the way the film was photographed, with a lot of digital effects added in, and part was the story, one-dimensional characters, and sets which take an awful lot of liberty with what is known about the Egyptians and history in general. However, since the producers were not trying to create an Indiana Jones film (...even if there are more than a handful of simlarities...) but something different, that's okay. I think they succeeded. I think the film is a good tribute to the original adventure/horror/sci-fi movies of days of yore which took many similar liberties with known facts. Although I would have like it to be more convincing, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was scared at times and laughed at others. To put it simply, if I had one word to describe the film it would be FUN.

: Cheers,
: Abner

:Thanks for the precise review, that was pretty good review, not biased one way or the other, just truthful. Danno

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]