You think you got it tough...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rik Duel from essex2.powerup.com.au on May 11, 1999 at 16:42:48:

In Reply to: A New 12 inch INDIANA JONES ACTION FIGURE???! Whoaaaa! Sign me up, baby - (silence) ... HOW!! much? posted by Dietrich on May 11, 1999 at 15:16:19:

I could cry.

Not only is $350 way too expensive for a figure that I KNOW that I'm just going to have to take out of the box and play around with, but I live in Australia.

Now imagine that $350, with a shipping amount tagged on, of at least $30.

Then imagine it converted into Australian dollars (and an Aussie dollar here will buy the same as a US dollar there) and you've got about $550.

Which is approximately my rent for 2 months.

I'm going to have to pass this baby up, I fear.

But I ain't gonna like it.

Rik.

: All -

: Let me tell you all a story. If you're not interested in fond memories of a Lucas and Spielbergian childhood, then leave now. Okay, for everyone that's still reading... When I was little, I fell in love with Raiders of the Lost Ark. I used to run down the hill in my backyard that summer and whistle the Indiana Jones theme song while I brandished a saddle bag ripped off of my family's hobby horse and a clay handled clothes line whip.

: Man I loved that movie. I made my parents take me to see it twice (that was a big deal back then) and for my sixth birthday that coming December I asked for a bunch of the toys from Kenner. Empire Strikes Back toys were still going strong and I had my eye on one of those AT-ATs, but this was Indiana Jones we were talking about. I had to have 'em. Lo and behold, my parents surprised me the entire action figure line. I was estatic. With those figures and the playsets from Santa come Christmas - I had the entire Kenner Indy collection. Well... almost, anyway. You see, that damn twelve inch doll was near impossible to get. My parents couldn't find it anywhere. They looked at every toy store in the Pittsburgh area but that thing wqs tougher to track down than a missle-firing Boba Fett. Well I scrounged and I scraped and after Christmas - I was determined to see for myself whether or not I could find this thing.

: My parents took me to a Children's Palace (does anyone remember those?) and praise Jehovah ("Ooooh, IDIOT! In Latin Iehovah starts witha an "IIIIIII'") there it was. It was like gazing upon the Holy Grail. I reached up on my tiptoes and I pulled that big yellow box down. There couldn't have been more than two of them. I looked at that figure - which was really nothing more than the Han Solo 12 inch with a new jacket and it was like manna from heaven.

: But then my dad, who was wandering the store, found these Universal Monsters 8 inch figures on sale. As he figured, I could get ALL four (Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman and the Mummy) for the price of that Indy figure. Why get one figure when I could have four? With both Christmas and my birthday over, he started making a lot of sense. So I put the Indiana Jones figure of my dreams back on that shelf. (Okay, actually on the one below it. It was hard enough getting that thing down the first time.) And I regretted that day for the REST OF MY LIFE. Damn, I shoulda bought that figure. Little did I know that my dad was as big a Mummy freak as I am an Indy freak and probably just wanted to take it out and play with it.

: Recently, I saw one of the Indy guys MIB at a comic book convention for about a hundred bucks. I just started working, so I had a nice big paycheck burning a hole in my back pocket - but I didn't buy it. This time though, I didn't buy it because I'm 23 years old and I realize that figure looks like dog shit. It doesn't even look like ol' Harry Ford! Not to mention that lampshade fedora!

: And now here we are. A new Indy figure has sprung up. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't going to click back to that link at least fifty more times tonight.... but THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS!!!!!??????!!!!! Dear God, fellow IndyFans - I could buy a DVD player for that much! A new TV... Car stereo... Pay off some of my student loans... $350 bucks. Somebody please... talk me into buying this thing. Convince me that it's worth it. Convince me I wouldn't be insane to spend that much on an action figure. And if you do convince me, whatever the cost - DO NOT TELL MY GIRLFRIEND HOW MUCH IT COST!!! Dammit. Three hundred and fifty bucks. Life ain't fair....

: - Dietrich

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]