DVD all the way

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive8jq.dialup.mindspring.com on May 14, 1999 at 12:15:23:

In Reply to: Slightly OT: DVD or VHS? posted by Mark Indy on May 14, 1999 at 00:09:28:

: To add something to the recent DVD discussions... I seem to remember not too long ago there wasn't an agreed-upon standard for DVD's yet, did they come up with one? Also, what do you guys think the future of home video is going to be, tapes still or DVD? After all that laserdisc thing didn't pan out a few years back.

: O.K. I'll admit at this point that I've never even touched a DVD, but I love my tapes! Maybe I'm just an old fashioned kind of guy, you know, like one of those fedora wearers. : )

: Any thoughts?

: Cheers!
: Mark

The DVD video standard was ironed out before the discs came out. Maybe you're referring to DVD-audio standard which was recently agreed upon, or perhaps the insidious DIVX, a product from Circuit City and a law firm which uses the same video standard as DVD but hooks up to a phone line and you pay-per-view. There are also two different sound formats, Dolby Digital and DTS, but they both work on all current players (some of the first generation players were DD only). Lucasfilm has also developed a new 7 channel surround format to debut with Star Wars Episode 1 in select theaters. This format is supposed to work with current equipment, but you need a separate decoder or a 7 channel amp as well as another speaker.

I have no doubt that DVD will replace tapes just like CDs replaced records (and cassette tapes to a large extent). All that is needed is a low cost recordable DVD or for ReplayTV or other digital technology to catch on. Then tapes will be DEAD.

Low cost high fidelity home theater equipment and widescreen/high def TVs will also put pressure on Movie Theaters to upgrade to the latest and greatest sound systems or go out of business, just like the advent of TV forced film into a widescreen, color format back in the 50s.

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: