Re: Who's your favorite villain? Favorite villain quote?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB from 162.10.138.28 on May 16, 1999 at 05:02:20:

In Reply to: Who's your favorite villain? Favorite villain quote? posted by Abner on April 16, 1999 at 14:24:31:

: (From the movies, not novels-they don't count)

: Mine definitely has to be Toht from Raiders. That scene in the bar is an absolute classic. My friends always have a laugh when I do impressions of "We....ah..ah....are not..thirsty..." and "Let me show you what I am used to with..." Ronald Lacey was perfect! What a cliche! He was also in one of the Sherlock Holmes episodes starring Jeremy Brett(The best Sherlock Holmes ever) made in the mid-80s.

: Cheers,
: Abner

Rob here,
I'm torn between Toht and Belloq from "Raiders" with a slight edge going to Belloq.
I love Toht because of his icky demeanor; his sadistic, childish glee when Marion and Indy are trapped in the Well of Souls. The way he can turn the hanging up of his coat into a cruel mindf**k. I also love his very mannered, patient, and very casual cruelty. Plus he's ugly in a way that almost implies that he was born to be a sadist; like his parents took one look at that creepy face and hid all the knives for their own safety. He's a perfect villain for this type of movie.
Belloq is completely different. Handsome and charming in a very French way, sort of like Victor Laslo in "Casablanca."
He's also a very good archaologist and may be even better at it than Indy; he can speak Hovito while Indy can't.
I like the way that Marion is attracted to him and I got the impression that they would have gotten together in some parallel universe.
Also his self-awareness is unusual and appealing for a villain in an adventure film. He recognizes that he has fallen out of the light and turned into a different person than he started out to be.
One of the differences between Belloq and Toht can be seen in the scene where Indy is rescued by Sallah's children. Belloq warns Indy that next time it will take more than children to save him. Toht would have killed Indy and the children and would probably gotten aroused while he did it.
I also like that Belloq is almost as resourceful as Indy which can be seen in the shot where he faces down Indy on the island. Indy has a bazooka and Belloq dares him to blow up the Ark knowing full well that Indy cannot.
I also like Belloq's spiritualism. Unlike Indy, Belloq believes in the power of the Ark and respects it. Once he has it in his possession he doesn't just tear off the lid to look inside. He goes thru the whole "Jewish ritual" with the robes and all.
All in all there are very few adventure films where the villains are equal to the hero in brains and this is one of the reasons that the Indiana Jones films work so well. Hollywood would make better films if they'd remember to pay more attention to the villains when they start a script..

ROB

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]