Re: Does anyone ever get the feeling that Rick McCallum is just a wannabe?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rik Duel from slgol52p03.ozemail.com.au on May 16, 1999 at 14:37:22:

In Reply to: Does anyone ever get the feeling that Rick McCallum is just a wannabe? posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert on May 16, 1999 at 00:05:09:

I had the opportunity late last year to sit and listen to Rick McCallum speak on his filmmaking experience at the Australian Screen Producers' Association Conference.

I think that you need to put things into perspective. George Lucas has engaged McCallum as a Producer and so it's a part of his job, moreso than Lucas's, to promote the company projects.

In listening to him speak, you become aware that McCallum is quite awestruck with George Lucas, and also very humble. He made the comment that between the two of them, he and GL had produced some of the biggest successes of the century... as well as some of the biggest flops. He pointed out the failures of the projects on which he was producer, Radioland Murders and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (I know that last one is very dear to the hearts of many forum regulars, but hey, considering the amount it cost it didn't sell all that well) and made the comment that he hoped that he wasn't some kind of jinx for George.

He also had a fairly distinguished producing career pre- his Lucasfilm days, working with filmmakers like Nic Roeg and Dennis Potter. I really don't think it's fair to call McCallum a 'wannabe' or 'poser'.

Rik.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]