What were Indy's feelings towards Deirdre?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Meg from spider-tl041.proxy.aol.com on May 16, 1999 at 16:55:59:

Hello all!!!
Just a warning that there are minor spoilers in this post for people who haven't read the novels "Dance of the Giants", and "Seven Veils". So if you don't want to know about them I suggest you stop reading. OK, now about my topic. I want to know how everyone feels about Indy's and Deirdre's relationship. When I think about what was written in the novels, and some of the stuff Indy thought and said about her, I get the feeling that he kind-of lost a little interest in her, and that even thought they married it was just like the way he felt about other women, exept her cared for her a little more. What first brought this to mind was in the beginng of "Seven veils", when they were on the dig in Tikal. He was talking about another pretty blond girl, and how if Deirdre wasn't there with him he would have been tempted. Then when Katherine(blond girl) put her arms around Indy, he said that he really didn't push her away. Now if Indy was truly in Love with Deirdre, he wouldn't have been tempted with Katherine. I understand him embracing Katherine, if he was trying to make Deirdre jealous, but he wasn't. Then it was said how their relationship had been on and off and that Indy had seen another women. Now I can see this, because it is natural to date other women after another, but I still think if he was in love with Deirdre he would have been love sick from her and not have seen other women (well now that I think of it maybe he would, he is Indy!) Another thing that gave me the feeling that he was loosing interest was when he was at the courtroom and he said that "He liked women and making love just fine, but these guys had another thing coming if they thought he was going to spend his days like a retired race horse..." He doesn't even mention Deirdre and how he wouldn't want to do that stuff to other women. And one last thing was when Fawcett was talking about his breeding and Indy replied with a faint hint of disappointment in his voice "You never saw any of the women?"( In the book thought it is written the other way around so it says "You never saw any of the women?" Indy asked, with a faint hint of disappointment in his voice.) I really don't know how Indy's relationship with Deridre was. I mean maybe the things I mentioned were classic Indy thoughts, but if he was madly in Love with Deirdre he wouldn't of said the things he did. It was like his relationship with all the other women, except he respected Deirdre more. I think that if another women had thrown herslef onto him during their marraige (If that sad incident hadn't occured to Deirdre), that Indy would have done the thing with the other woman. But I really don't know. I can't really judge how people act when they are in Love and stuff happens, because I've never been in Love myself, but I just got the feeling that this wasn't Indy's true true true love. I kind-of felt too that Indy rushed into things too fast (Like when he proposed to Deridre in "Dance of Giants"). I'm going to read that Genesis Deluge book next, so maybe more of the hidden feelings for Deirdre will show through. (oh and please no spoilers for this book.I don't mind if you tell me he grieves over her alot and stuff like that, just please don't give away any more stuff.) OK, I'll guess I'll let all of you give your suggestions. I feel kind-of bad ripping their relationship apart, and the fact that it's just a book and I shouldn't be analyzing this too much! LOL. Well I hope to hear all of your reply's. Thanks for reading!

Meg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]