Re: Ever wondered what happened to the bullwhip?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CosmicCat from th-gt145-078.pool.dircon.co.uk on May 20, 1999 at 15:56:39:

In Reply to: Re: Ever wondered what happened to the bullwhip? posted by Hannibal King on May 20, 1999 at 04:50:15:

: : Hey,
: Planet Hollywood in London has a bullwhip and grail from Last Crusade. Or at least they did in 1993 when I was last there. Incidentally, a small motor museum in a small but really historical town near where I stay had one of the staff cars from the truck chase in Raiders. The museum has moved but I think that the car's still in their collection.
: Seeya Hannibal

: : The forum wasn't around in 1990 (heck, I don't think Netscape and Internet Explorer were around in 1990!) so hopefully I'm not repeating a post from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

: : : According to two ancient miniscule articles in newspapers in England, the bullwhip used by Harrison Ford in the Indiana Jones films was auctioned off at Christies in London on 20 December 1990, in order to raise funds for the London University Institute of Archeology. It was expected to raise between 4,000-5,000 pounds but was eventually sold for 12,650 pounds (that's $20,240-ish. $500 for a David Morgan is a bargain! :) It was last reported to reside in the Rock Cafe, Paris.

: : : The bullwhip was described as hand-made, 16 plaits of kangaroo hide with a 270 cm lash. That makes it a *9* foot bullwhip that was being shown on hand and not 10, although I wouldn't expect it to be the only one they had on set...

: : : Marilyn Monroe's wedding certificate went for 7,150 pounds ($11,440 ish), so at least the buyers had their priorities right :)

: : : Miouw.
: : Rumor ALSO has it, as told at Herbert Johnson's, that they created the very first bullwhip for the movies, but a woman came in, saw it, and just HAD to have it for her husband's birthday. They sold it to her with the intention of making another. It never happened due to the time constraint that LucasFilm was under to get Raiders in production, and David Morgan ended up getting the contract. Now don't you wonder where THAT whip ever ended up? Could you imagine what that one would be worth if it appeared with the proper documentation? Regards. Michaelson

Yowow! Time to get me down to Planet Hollywood to see if they still have their Indy stuff :) Yikes, hope Herbert Johnson isn't kicking themselves... "if only we hadn't sold that whip, we'd be on the fingertips of all those IndyFan Forum posters... *kick*". Hope Mrs Lady appreciated that whip!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]