Oops...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from ivy.tc.pw.com on May 21, 1999 at 09:53:03:

In Reply to: Re: QUERY: Indy's attitude toward women... posted by Goodsport on May 21, 1999 at 09:30:12:

: : I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I thought I'd throw this question out there into the cosmic void. It concerns how Indy treats women, particularly Marion, since I'm more familiar with "Raiders" than with the other two movies or any of the novels.
: : We know that Indy had a fling with Marion when he was 25 and she was just 15 and that it cost him his relationship with Abner Ravenwood. Marion seems to have been very hurt by Indy and yet his attitude is very cavelier when he meets her again in Nepal.
: : Marion: I was a child. I was in love. It was wrong and you knew it.
: : Indy: You knew what you were doing.

: : Then he lies to her about the importance of the headpiece to the staff of Ra. "It's a worthless bronze medallion, Marion, are you gonna give it to me?"

: : When they get to Egypt and Marion mentions how much her father loved Indy he is IMHO somewhat cruel in his answer to her.
: : Marion: You know he loved you like a son. It took a helluva lot for you to alienate him.
: : Indy: Not much just you.

: : Then comes the worst of all. He finds her tied up in the tent in the desert and just leaves her there, not knowing what might happen to her, just so the Nazis won't comb the place looking for him.

: : Now admittedly I'm not a woman and maybe I'm reading more into it than there is but it seems that Marion gets treated pretty badly by Indy.

: : So I ask you. Is Indiana Jones, our favorite adventurer, a chauvanist pig or am I doing something that I hate (pushing a 1990's attitude onto a 1930's character?)

: : Comments??

:
: That's pretty the Catch-22... in this day and age of political correctness (ugh!), we have a tendency to judge people in the past through 1990's eyes. Unfortunately, we oftentimes forget to realize that peoples of the past were raised under different circumstances and values. Does that prove that they were too insensitive, or that we now are TOO sensitive? A little of both, I would imagine!

: As far as Indy's attitude toward Marion, those are interesting points you made. As far as the scene where he leaves her tied up... this is the one case where he had no choice, because had he took her with him, the Nazis WOULD comb the desert for them, and they would both be dead or captured! Also, if you noticed, Indy wasn't blase about leaving her there... he actually was concerned and sorry about it, and even gave her a kiss right before reapplyin the gag(sp?) on her.

: -G

Oops, in my first sentence I meant to write, "That's pretty much the Catch-22...". Sorry about the confusion!

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]