John Williams...and...Action Figures...I Digress...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aquinas from Panther3373.eiu.edu on May 21, 1999 at 10:16:46:

Hey all,

I was listening to the soundtrack to Phantom Menace and couldn't help but hear all the familiar Williams orchestrations. It is amazing how his writing has evolved scince Last Crusade. There is this awesome use of voices now that seemed to start with the Last Crusade (Remember the invisible bridge music? now think of the new duel of the fates. When we begin we always go back to Indy.)
Anyhow I thought I would share a little story. I wrote John Williams when I was 12 years old on what it took to be a composer of music . I must have waited for months till one day I recieved an envelope from the Boston Pops Orchestra. I open it up and sure enough John Williams took the time to write me a long letter answering all of my questions. I have it framed and hanging up on a wall in my house. It has this huge signature of his on it and he had alot of great things to say.
Anyhow, just a little story of one of my many brushes with the legendary. I sound like J. Peterman. OHHH, Elaine... Best to all.

---- Egads that Indy figure is expensive. You know I think its pretty sad that as collectors we have to pay that kind of money for a toy. Real sad. Fine for a vintage Raiders figure but, come on, guys. Over 300 bucks?!?!? Pardon me if I say that is a load of @#$!%^@#$&!
If I was a kid still I could never afford action figures. My parents would have gone bankrupt. I think that they are taking something special away from children when they charge as much as they do for action figures. I'll bet that is why they flooded the market with Episode I stuff. The search is always fun but, who the heck wants to pay for it with your arm and leg.
It's amazing we live in a world that cares about charging a small fortune for toys. To buy them at a decent price and play with it, fine. If you collect it only and put it on a shelf then I can see the worth and the rarety of something well taken care of that has some sentimental and historical value in time but, geesh. What in God's name are some places charging $8.00 for a figure that is probably going to be either chewed up by a dog or headless in 10 years?? Sign of the times, I guess.
I have got to stop posting on this forum after research papers. Too much nervous energy. I need to get out. Sorry, guys. Best to all.
--- Aquinas

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]