Bogus analogy

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micah from sallah.gsfc.nasa.gov on May 21, 1999 at 14:51:12:

In Reply to: EVERYONE READ THIS!!! But be warned, it might not be pleasant!!! posted by KALI-MA on May 21, 1999 at 12:57:18:

First of all, by my understanding the mito-clureans (or whatever) are mediators between the Force and the person. The Force is still something that surrounds everything and is rather mysterious. For example, a rock and the air around it is devoid of mito-whatsis, but the Force is there for Luke to lift the object.

On the Highlander score, however, saying that immortals were really aliens from another planet did blow the whole fantasy, mystical element of Highlander out of the water. A travesty to be sure.

However, seeing events that influenced Indy doesn't destroy my enjoyment of the character, in fact, it deepens it. Glimpsing some of the events that molded the man is most welcome, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, people are complex and sometimes even contradictory. No matter how many moments of their life you witness, there is always a little mystery left.

A better analogy would be if somehow Indy came up with and proved a scientific theory as to why the Ark fried a bunch of Nazis or what made the Sankara stones heat up and glow, rather than attributing it to God or magic. That would truly destroy the mystery.

--Micah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]